The 70th Anniversary Edition of the classic film “The Wizard of Oz” played in downtown Seattle on Tuesday, and my husband, 12-year-old son, and I were there to see it. What a treat to see this timeless film on the big screen with a full audience of appreciative fans, many who attended wearing their own ruby red slippers.
As I watched the film and listened to the audience reaction to some of the most memorable lines, I couldn't help but draw parallels from this film to the world of DIY publicity.
- Never underestimate the power of a really sassy pair of shoes to boost your confidence when pitching a story or doing anything that really matters in your life.
- Thing big about what you want to accomplish, and take one joyful step at a time as you make the journey.
- It takes brains, courage, and heart to make your message stand out.
- Collaborating with a quality team can make a world of difference when making your approach.
- If you want it, you have to be willing to put up with things that get in your way, like apples, flying monkeys, witches, and sleep-inducing poppies.
- Before you make your big pitch, put your best dress on and your best face forward.
- “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.” You have more power to make things happen in your business than you ever though possible. You just have to look in your bag of tricks to find the right tools and resources to the get the mission accomplished. And you have to use them.
- Most of the coverage you seek that can make a powerful difference in your business can be found in your own backyard right now.
- You don't have to fly over the rainbow to get much of what you want.
- There is no place like home. That's where you and most of your customers live, work, and play. Start at home.
- You can make a lot of magic happen if you just click your heels together and get to work.
In 2010, I'll be offering a series of Publici-Tea™ Express workshops to make your journey to DIY publicity success one you'll enjoy taking, one step at a time. Publici-Tea™ graduates will have new reasons to return to Seattle Design Center in the Emerald City that is our home to learn more, and newbies will have plenty of reasons to take their first steps along their journey to DIY publicity success. Some of the topics we have brewing are posted at this link. We will audio record every session so eager students in Seattle and well beyond can benefit. Why not save all the dates now so you can stay in action and enjoy a measure of “Accountabili-Tea” as you move along the yellow brick road to DIY publicity success?
In 2010, there will also be opportunities for businesses to showcase their own bags of tricks to support publicity-seeking business owners get what they want. Here is a link to make it easy to learn more. I look forward to welcoming you to my own little version of Oz in the New Year.